Friday, March 8, 2013

Blog Post 3

After reading the article below, I think about my job, and what I post on my Facebook. What would happen to me if my future boss were to see a picture of me doing something I shouldn't be? It makes you think about how the social media world could change your life forever. Picture this: you went to college for 8 years trying to become a lawyer. Then the firm that you're trying to get into goes on Facebook and types in your name. Up pops your profile, and a picture of you drinking when you were in High School. Automatically declined the job. And that's going to make it even harder to find a job. Today, people don't think about what could happen to you by posting the drunken picture. Teenagers are especially guilty of this. We all think we are so invinsible and nothing ad will ever happen to us. Until it does. Back when my mother was growing up, none of this was a problem. Now, you see it everywhere. You even see crimes committed on Facebook because teens aren't thinking about the consequences of their posts. Bullying is at an all-time high. Soicla media sites aren't being used for good things anymore, at least, teens aren't using them for anything good anymore.


http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-10/living/facebook.fired.social.media.etiquette_1_social-media-worker-posts-workplace-complaints?_s=PM:LIVING

When my english teacher gave us a survey on the first day of her class, she asked us what media literacy is. The irony is, I'm an 18-year old girl and I didn't have an answer for her. I use Facebook, texting, Pintrest, and other things on my computer, but i could not answer what media literacy is. After thinking, and googling, I've come to realize that actually, it's more broad than just using social media websites. It's more of if you can communicate and interpret ideas or opinions through non-verbal communication (meaning the internet, social media, etc). Media literacy, basically, is all teenagers. They all use every social media site under the moon, so they'll be great at communicating non-verbally.

I would consider myself to be media literate. I don't use Twitter or Instagram, but I have a facebook account and I text all the time. There isn't a moment where my phone isn't reachable. I can communicate with people non-verbally, and express my views, opinions and feelings non-verbally, or through a text message. Do I think that it is appropriate to always text and always have conversations over text, no. I would prefer talking in person or at least on the phone, but as an 18-year old girl, I understand that sometimes it is difficult to always talk in person or on the phone. So text is the only way to talk. Some people say, "You have phone addiction Alysha, you can't put that thing down," but in my defense, what teenager doesn't? Texting has become a huge part in today's culture, but it doesn't always have to be. I think that I am media literate because of the way that I can communicate with others non-verbally.

I agree with Postman because it's true. The fact that social media has become apart of our culture is stupid, and the fact that teenagers don't see how it effects you is pure stupidity on their part. They don't realize how dumb it is to constantly be on a social media site all the time. It consumes them. Which is why I won't ever join Twitter or Instagram. I just don't see the point.



No comments:

Post a Comment